How to Find (and Install) Custom Content in The Sims 4
The Sims 4 custom content can easily make the Sims and the town different. It can even change the way the game plays, adding or adjusting features.
- Content installation folder
Personalized content can make the The Sims 4 not only a different look, but can even improve the gameplay. It can alter almost every aspect of a Sim – clothing, hair, makeup, and even body shape. Custom content is hosted all over the internet, and finding the best resource is a journey in itself.
It is best to approach any The Sims 4 personalized content regularly. Each designer created content independently with specific expansions and item packs in mind. Loading dozens or hundreds of files simultaneously can create conflicts or errors. It’s much safer to install one package at a time, test it in-game, and then add the next one.
Some larger custom content files may be compressed into common file formats such as ZIP*: ENGLISH Where ARR. Unfortunately, the game may not always read these files directly and require the custom content in The Sims 4 to extract. Windows usually includes an automatic program by default to do this. For Mac users, a additional application like Unarchiver may be needed from the Mac App Store.
An important aspect is knowing where to get even The Sims 4 personalized content. sims Franchise Designers have been around for over 20 years, which has resulted in several major hubs. For instance, Edit The Sims and The Sims Resource are two of the largest websites dedicated to The Sims 4 changes.
Other The Sims 4 communities will regularly share or announce new and favorite personalized content. This includes the official electronic arts forum and The The Sims 4 Reddit. Additionally, Twitch streamers and YouTube Let’s Players will also often feature custom content. It’s a good way to preview a new item or cosmetic before downloading it directly.
Content installation folder
When the The Sims 4 is launched first, it will automatically create a new Electronic Arts folder on its computer. On subsequent playbacks, this folder will be where savegames and custom content will be stored. Players can also preemptively create this folder themselves if they want to immediately start a fresh install with custom content or mods. The installation process is as follows:
- Open a file browser or find and navigate to The Sims 4 mod folder: Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/Mods
- If the custom content was archived in ZIP or RAR files, extract them to the Mods folder
- Basic custom content file types such as packages, shelf elementand plan can also be placed in the Mods folder
- Optional: the files above can also be sorted into subfolders like hair, clothes, houses, etc.
- Completely launch the The Sims 4
- Enter the Game Options menu
- Go to the Others tab
- Check the box Enable custom content and mods box
- Optional: Also check the box Script mods allowed box (only for custom content that alters gameplay)
- Select Apply Changeswait for any loading, then enter a voucher The Sims 4 new game or save
More The Sims 4 custom content should work immediately. By default, custom content will be marked with a blue wrench icon in the upper left corner. However, more complex content may change this icon or rebalance other aspects of the game. If for some reason the game starts behaving strangely or suddenly starts having issues, disabling custom content may be the solution.
- Original release date:
- The Sims
- Xbox One, Playstation 4, PC
- electronic arts